Updated: Feb 02 15
Created: Feb 02 15
- Featured in the New York Times Travel section...Sunday Nov. 9 2008. (Reason #14)
39 Reasons to Go to the Caribbean This Year
- As reviewed in the March 2009 edition of Harpers Bazaar UK. The top ten Caribbean boltholes. From jungle adventure to beach haven, Bazaar explores the most exciting hideaways off the beaten track in an "affordable travel" special...... "a perfect low key Caribbean break. Sea Cliff Cottages are a cluster of cute self-catering residences, ranging from studio to two bedroom cottages. Hodges Beach is good for swimming, and just 20 minutes' walk away is the fishing village of Calibishie, which has several restaurants. Or, if you are there when the boats come in, you can have your pick of the day%u2019s catch for your evening meal. A perfectly low-key Caribbean break.
- Last time we stayed in Roseau and finished in the north. This time we wanted to start in the north because of the extraordinary beauty of this part of the island. I have no doubt we will be back again. The cottages are in a superb location and the beaches are perfect here.
Justin and Gillian
gillian (at) undery.eclipse.co.uk
- What a wonderful place !.....the staff very accommodating . The view is amazing !--very relaxing. The balcony is great. Hope to make it back some day
Heather and Brent Gammett
W. Newport , Maine
- Fantastic scenery ! peaceful location. SeaCliff offers all you expect from Caribbean Islands.
Special thanks to Gweneth,Pascal and Augustus for their cheerful way to care about us.
Un grande merci de la famille Bassy
- Beautiful location, beautiful people, wonderful beach and river. I can hardly wait to come back.Thanks for making our last days in Dominica so easy !
Elsie and Greg
- Beautiful place ! Great owners and staff. One of the finest places to stay in gorgeous Dominica
- "Friendly people, well-managed. Highly recommended"
As reviewed by the Caribbean Opinion
- What an unforgetable week we had ! The cottage was perfect for the four of us--very comfortable with everything we needed.Snorkeling and exploring the islands here at Hodges Beach was cool!
Bruce,......baynesb (at) hotmail.com
- Reviewer: email@example.com ,
These Sea Cliff cottages on the north Calibishie coast are so sweet and the site is magnificent...beach below is the best! lovely site, affordable and kitchenettes, phones.
As reviewed by www.tripadvisor.com
- Dominica's greatest little hidden secret.
Pat Ready from Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA
- I almost don't want people to find out about this little spot in paradise. The cottages are about the best accommodations on the island, with a view fit for a king. If you like trails, rivers, jungles and lots of fresh fruit and fish, this is the place for you. The studio is fine for one or two people and it offers the best views. There are also two- and three-bedroom accommodations available. Town is nearby, but rent a car if you want to see the island up-close. My friends and I came by private plane during our 30-day island hopping mission and were able to see the entire island from above; it was amazing. As reviewed by www.wheretostay.com
- We arrived a bit late and frazzled due to unplanned travel circumstances but as soon as we walked in the cottage door it all melted away. We had expected it to be far more rustic and were delighted with all its amenities.----We will definately return and recommend this accommodation to anyone visiting Dominica.
April Miele and Jeff,....firstname.lastname@example.org
- This tranquillity is hard to find anywhere else. Just sitting on the porch and enjoying the view were some of my more blissful moments. Happiness pure ! We loved it here and we most certainly will be back, rather sooner than later
Marianne and Till,..
- Thank you for the use of your airy,comfortable house in this beautiful, beautiful place. The only thing that would have made our stay better is if we could have stayed an additional week
Jim, Jonathan and Kate, Boulder, Colorado
- Great views, good accomodations and great value.
Paul Lang from Colts Neck, New Jersey, USA
- My family and I stayed in the Oceanview Cottage next door (owned by the same family) and saw the inside of one of the Sea Cliff Cottaqes. This is a cluster of four homes/cottages each self-sufficent and well appointed. The walk to town is a good 20 minutes with a couple of restaurants and friendly people. We did our 6 day vacation without a car - hiring the grounds keeper to drive us around, it was OK but we'll rent a car next time. The walk to the beach involves a long, steep (maybe muddy) climb that anyone in reasonable shape and flexibilty can handle - but this is more difficult than a steep staircase so judge for yourself. One elderly couple in a cottage were surprised and disappointed by the difficulty. My family, including two children 8 and 11, loved it and had no problem. The beach is black sand and pure rustic - but it is in a protected cove with an island a few hundred feet off shore and some reasonably good snorkeling. There is also a fresh water river feeding into the ocean at this point - don't be discouraged if the ocean/river water looks brown and muddy, that just means it recently rained in the mountains and it will clear up to sparkling clear in a few hours. Overall, highly recommended for a non-touristy vacation; we are going back this year. A word to the wise, keep a couple of gallons of water on hand, the "city" water supply has been known to be out for 12 - 24 hours.
As reviewed by www.wheretostay.com
- "A cottage under coconut trees, flowers up to the windows.....what a wonderful experience. We will never forget it."
Gerda and Detlef
- "A million dollar view from our porch. The best of everywhere we've traveled!"
Lum & Thelma
- Reviewers Rating: Excellent
My girl friend and I stayed at the Sea Cliff Cottages for 8 days.We had the best vacation of our lives. The owners, Jim and Gwen were the greatest hosts and we were treated almost like family, it was Jim's birthday while we were staying there and we celibrated with them like we all had known them forever, a warm feeling when you are a long way from home. Pascal and Wendy were very helpful in showing us around the area and where the necessities were located. The cottages are located on the north part of Dominica at Calibishi and are self contained. We did most of our own cooking while we were there. We put out the word that we would like some lobster and in a couple of days some local people showed up with the largest, most beautiful lobster ever! We were well looked after at the Sea Cliff Cottages and made to feel very welcome and comfortable, the best! Elaine
As reviewed by www.caribbean-on-line.com
- Our second trip to Dominica. We have been looking forward since last year to returning to Sea Cliff. It was a pleasure to finally meet Jim and Gwen and see Gweneth, Augustus and Pascal again. Jim and Gwen, thank you. We have never felt so cared for and ay the same time so secluded and independant. If you can tear yourself away from the view, the breeze, the sounds of the birds and surf.........
Ted and Linda..... lindalu (at) ideo.columbia.edu
- "This is Paradise! Wonderful people, great food, and the view spectacular!"
Kent & Donna
- Another great ham Radio operation from Sea Cliff. We have now made over 40,000 points of contacts to all points of the earth from here. This is our fourth operation from Sea Cliff. Excellent service provided as usual. Will be back in November.
- We've had a blast !! Due to circumstances we've had the pleasure of staying at three of the four cottages. We've enjoyed each of their unique qualities but the one bedroom home is above and beyond !! The staff have been fantastic. Thanks to Pascal and Augustus we learned to cook some local dishes--Yum !
Heather and John
- "For future guests, this place is as close to the Garden of Eden as you are likely to find!"
- This cottage is wonderful and the view is truly spectacular. The beautiful beach and this incredible veranda provided the perfect contrast to the thrills, chills and general excitement on our daily roller coaster ride on Dominican roads.
Beverly, Washington, D.C.
- "Our whole family thoroughly enjoyed their time here. Our kids played with some of the local children which I'm sure made their stay more fun"
- Gweneth has been the perfect manager. She is helpful without being intrusive....One last look at paradise bay from this veranda! We are so glad we found Sea Cliff Cottages
Angela and Ian, Hampshire, England
- All is more beautiful than advertised. Especially sunrise on the balcony.
George and Sue, Tallahassee, Florida
- What a great find on the internet ! We have stayed in nice RCI-Affiliated resorts in Guadeloupe, Martinique, St.Martin and the Dominican Republic but none have the dramatic setting of this cottage. The staff have been wonderful.
Bill and Peggy, Ocean Isle Beach, N.C.